Responsible Service Of Alchohol

The Management and Staff of The Union Club Hotel maintains that the responsible service of alcohol is a responsibility shared by both the venue and the customer. For our part, we are committed to the service of alcohol to our customers in a professional and responsible manner, complying with all applicable laws and adhering to endorsed Liquor Service Codes of Practice. We recognize that alcohol abuse and alcohol consumption by minors are serious social issues. Our staff are trained in Responsible Service of Alcohol and actively promote responsible alcohol consumption by our customers. We also require current valid photographic proof of age identification to be provided by young adults before they are supplied with alcohol at our venue. To seek further information please see the Victorian Government website.

Continue to Victoria Gov. website

What is a standard drink?

It is important to understand what a standard drink is so that when you are drinking you can manage how much alcohol you consume. This can help you stick to the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) guidelines. In Australia, a standard drink is any drink containing 10 grams of alcohol, regardless of container size or alcohol type (e.g beer, wine, spirit). A standard drink is a unit of measurement. In the same way one metre measures a particular distance travelled, one standard drink measures a particular amount of alcohol consumed.

Get the details

Underage drinking

The legal drinking age in Victoria is 18. If you are under 18 you are not allowed to buy alcohol. Usually you are not allowed to be in a licensed place where alcohol is served unless it is a restaurant or café or if you are there with your parents. The person selling alcohol in a licensed place may ask you for proof of your age. This is because they can be fined if they serve alcohol to someone who is under the legal drinking age.

Get the facts

It is illegal to sell alchohol products to anyone under the age of 18.